[3830] CQWW SSB VU2CDP SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Nov 3 00:36:29 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VU2CDP
Operator(s): VU2CDP
Station: VU2CDP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Gurgaon, ML88nk
Operating Time (hrs): 24:01

   40:   61    12       31
   20:   50    15       29
   15:  151    18       61

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

Some have good hardware, some have good ears, and then some are blessed with
both. I express my gratitude to all those in these 3 categories for hearing my
"5watts louder than a QRP" signal. You are the guys whose calls are in my log.

Yes, i was on for almost the full contest; the 24 hrs operating time is what
N1MM tells me so i will let it be. With inverted Vees for 20 & 40 and an MFJ
portable tuner to load the 40V on 15m, I was nuts for even thinking that i
could be competitive simply by putting in chair time. Add to that a barefoot
Icom 718 which should pit me against the /P stations. Heck, no such category
exists yet so i am SOAB LP!

Lots of stations heard but few worked for reasons above. Most stations didn't
want to break their run so ignored me after 3-4 attempts. Heartbreaking for a
LP station operating from a temporary QTH. Made quite a few QSY attempts upon
being asked to help out the zone 14,15 & 16 stations but only successful with
IR4M and RU1A.

3-banders: VK6NC, OM8A, DF0HQ

Highlights: CW5W for an all-time new one. GM5X's reaction after hearing me when
he was wkg NA (Yes sir, i got through to you on my 11th or 12th attempt. hi)
Meeting my own targets of 100,000 pts which i set after realising the strength
of my signal.

Lowlight: N1MM quit working towards the end of the contest. No CAT control and
therefore no QSOs could be logged. Last few QSOs logged by hand and then
migrated to the database with help from Prasad, VU2PTT after the contest. He
has been a great motivation. Thanks Prasad!

Learnings: A lot! Propagation patterns especially. Also will have better ants
for WW CW so that -
1. I get out well enough to make into other people's logs
2. I manage to run a frequency instead of being pushed out by KW stns
everytime
3. QSY moves are successful.

Back to work for now.

73!