[3830] CQWW SSB ZM4T(@ZM2M) M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Nov 3 14:25:33 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZM4T
Operator(s): ZL2AL ZL2IFB ZL3IO ZL2FAR ZL2CC ZL2LF ZL2RVW
Station: ZM2M

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Napier

  160:    3     3        3
   80:   74    23       32
   40: 1247    36       91
   20:  965    36      115
   15: 2382    32       84
   10:   17     6        5

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

We had a ball!  This was a fabulous team effort that started many weeks before
the event with antenna work on site, practice runs in the Oceania DX contest,
and a masterclass on N1MM for team members converting from WriteLog.

15m was amazing, accounting for half of our QSOs.  We were fortunate that the
new 5 ele monobander happened to be on 15m.  I can't recall working 15m at 1am
local time before, perhaps way back when we had sunspots (remember them?).  We
had some sustained fast runs and oh boy what a buzz when the rate meter briefly
passed 500 (maybe I was hallicinating!).

Working SK0SAS/AM in a 737 somewhere over Northern Europe on 20m was a contest
first for me too.  He said we had such a clear signal he just had to say hello.
 Cool!

Radios:  FT1000D + FT1000MP.

Amps: 2 x TL922's.

Antennas: quarter wave forest wire vertical for 160m.  Fullwave wire loops for
80m and two on 40m.  Quarter wave vertical on a hot tin roof for 40m.  3 ele
monobander for 20m.  5 ele on 15m.  4 ele on 10m.  Our beams are only about 10m
off the ground but the site is around 200m ASL on a clifftop with a clear view
across the Pacific to the Americas (needs strong binoculars!).  We have no
rotators as yet, so we all got a little fitter by jogging around the barns to
turn the beams manually.  Apologies if we missed long path openings and callers
off the side, or if I sounded puffed out.

I finally figured out how to get DXcluster by putting a "Vodem" USB 3G modem up
on a stick in just the right position to give us a bar or two from the cellphone
site a few miles towards town.  Thanks to those who spotted us, especially the
helpful comments that kept us smiling.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB aka ZM4G obo ZM4T, the East Coast Contesters
www.G4iFB.com             www.ZM2M.com

We support the DX Code of Conduct at www.DX-Code.org   Help spread the word.