[3830] SS CW W2UP Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 7 16:59:19 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CO

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

My first SS in almost 30 years making more than a handful of QSOs and enjoyed it
very much, despite some station and time limitations.  Last time I played SS, I
think last 4 of your SSN and DOB were still part of the exchange.  There were
fewer sections, too (NNY, WCF, WTF...)  Speaking of the exchange, the first
time I heard a CK starting with 0, I thought it must be one of those ancient
college stations like W1MX.  The second time I heard a 0x prec., I realized
these guys are newbies from the current century.  Glad there are at least a few
of them.

I never was a fan of SS, having hammed from the east coast for 40 years, the
last 20 of which were in a great location for DX contesting - in EPA, running
SO2R with a stack, plenty of room, etc. - only 60 miles (i.e., NJ, aka "the
land of exit numbers") separating me from the Atlantic. It was good enough for
me to win the category (SOA) in the major DX contests a few times over the
years.  In summer 2009, we moved to an urban condo building in CO (and sold all
the ham gear before moving), where it was questionable whether I'd get back on
the air at all.  It took more than a year, but I finally got back on with some
stealth wires on my balcony and a new K3, just in time to chase the PJs.  This
was a very humbling experience, as it took many hours for me to get through to
them - both my lousy signal and now being in the Black Hole contributed.  I
kept thinking to myself,"I miss my Acom 2000A and tower..."  Unlike back east
where PJ is an easy N-S path, here it is 120 degrees.  I watched many a Packet
spot for PJ on 10 and 12 from the east, but no copy here.  Back to SS...

During some of the PJ pileups, a couple of my FRC brethren told me I was loud
at their QTHs in EPA.  Perhaps they were just humoring me, but I thought I'd
give SS a try.  After all, most of the big scores come from this part of the
country.  Having signals coming from all 4 directions, rather than just west
really makes a difference.  I started S&Ping and most stations not only heard
me, but answered on the first call and few repeats were necessary.  The thrill
of each QSO reminded me of my ham days of yore as a teenager.  After answering
a few QRPers' CQs, I thought I'd be brave and give running a try.  It worked
pretty well with an average rate of 60/hour for a few hours.  I even had 2
stations call me who were too weak for me to copy (the noisy, urban landscape
doesn't help with receive, either.)  Even so, I think I should be an honorary Q
precedence.  There's a lot more to signal that just power level.  I only worked
20 and 40, with a few exceptions.  I have 15m capability, but RF was getting in
and disabling my CW serial port every time I tried it with more than 10W.

Other random musings:
-I missed 5 mults - NE, NWT, NF, ID and SFL.  How did I miss SFL?  Were they
all out for the earlybird special instead of operating?
-Although I have always operated SOA in the DX contests, I don't get it for SS.
 There are only 80 mults, total.  I worked 75 of them in a few hours all by
myself.
-Seems most of the CKs were in the 50s and 60s.  How's SS going to survive much
longer?
-Neat thing about SS vs. a DX contest is I've met in Dayton probably half the
guys I worked.
-Unlike the DX contests, I experienced nor heard any frequency fights.
-Unlike the DX contests, the lower band edges are not very busy.

Until next year...