[3830] SS CW W2GD Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 7 19:55:26 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: W2GD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EPA

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Ancient Rusted Hulk of a TS930S
MFJ Memory Keyer, another 20+ year old relic
Dentron Tuner + 80M halfwave @ 60'

With my regular stn equipment still down at P40W, went on a treasure hunt out
in the barn to find the bits and pieces needed to get on the air for my 48th
consecutive SS CW.

The TS930 is literally a rusted mess, having survived at least 25 trips to P4
in various WW, ARRL DX, and WPX events back in the 80s and 90s.  I figured it
hadn't been turned on in at least 7 years, maybe longer.  Amazingly it still
works, but the main tuning mechanism is damaged.  To change frequency, it was
necessary to apply vertical pressure to hold the tuning knob up.  Made S/P
somewhat tedious but still...it worked!

It was fun running up and down 80M working so many old (and new) friends.  I
thought I even heard W4KFC's clicks at one point (the old timers will know what
I'm talking about).  Conditions were terrific, even bagged a few W6 and W7
stations with this setup.  180 of my 200 q's were S/P.

Thanks for the few hours of fun.....and look forward to seeing many of you
again during CQWW CW from P40W.

73,

John W2GD/3