[3830] SS CW K9GY Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 7 20:02:08 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Dang last state worked was Hawaii! I never found PR, NL, MB, or NT.

Nothing like waiting until 3 hours before the contest starts to get things
together! Spent 2 hrs putting up the 80m dipole and another hour setting up the
USB interface and keyer. So only missed a few minutes at the start. Then took a
bonehead break that was only 28 mins...argh! Contest started at 4pm CDST and I
ended up hungry after all that preparation, hah!

I've had a recent QRN problem. Friday I drove around trying to locate it.
Seemed like it was a utility pole about 3/4 mile away. Called Commonwealth
Edison (ComEd) on Friday night at 745pm to report it. Was told they'd send
someone out within three hours...cool... Saturday the noise is still there ugh.

Before shutting down on Saturday night I forgot to save the configuration in
WriteLog. So Sunday morning a prime hour of 80m time was lost to trying to set
the WL keying up. Is my name Murphy?  About this time I saw the ComEd truck
outside the house and was excited to see that! Nice fella went over to the pole
and took a look, changed a couple of things he saw. I added to the work load by
noticing the next pole over is the real QRN maker. So he wrote up a ticket and
said to give it a week. Ended up losing another hour with that. The QRN seemed
to improve a little after the quick fix he did. So I'm keeping my fingers
crossed. First time in 21 years that I've had a QRN problem here so consider
myself lucky so far based on reports from other club members.

Looked up some previous scores from here. Best seemed to be 2002 with 716-79,
then 2006 with 562-77, and 2001 with 514-75. So at least I beat 2001!

Maybe I need to be multi-op since one of our cats seemed to always want to sit
in front of the radio or computer but didn't want to help out! I should note we
have two female cats so maybe they're anti-ham radio, hah!

Well now at least I have everything hooked up for CQ WW CW!

Great to work all the familiar calls. It's a real pleasure to know I have
friends all over the world! Dang those QRPers are a tough crowd. They had some
nice QSO numbers to report!

Best of health to all,
Eric K9GY

Yaesu FT-857D