[3830] SS CW N4KG SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 7 20:41:21 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ALA

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

My goal for this contest was to work All Sections with Low Power, preferably
without Spotting assistance and without CQing.

It didn't work out that way.  Some sections just couldn't be found by S&P, at
least not until late Sunday, and I gave in to the temptation to look at Packet
which creates an interesting Log Submission Question / Problem.  If I change my
category, my Cabrillo Log will show that the Precedence I sent was U but in
fact, I sent Prec A for ALL 400 contacts.  How can this be resolved without
creating a Log Error / Penalty problem for those I contacted?

Since I wasn't concerned about score or rate, I decided to start on 15M to pick
up the Western Multipliers and get them out of the way.  That part of the plan
worked incredibly well.  ALL of the W6 sections were worked along with WTX,NM,
AZ,NV,UT,OR,WWA, KH6, KL7, and VE5,6,7 by 2220Z.

The remaining sections in W7 plus several sections in W5/0 were picked up on
20M. The only thing missing from the West at 2320Z was VE8/VY1.

The close-in sections were conspicuously absent from 40M when I arrived at
2325Z and the band sounded more like 20M.  QSY to 80M at 0000Z to pick up the
locals until 0130Z when I began switching bands every 30 minutes or so to catch
different openings to different areas.  By 0245, 73 sections were in the log,
with SC,SFL,KP4,LA,NE,VE4,VY1 still missing.  VE4EAR had been heard running
around calling others.

NP4Z was picked up on 40M at 0434Z, followed by SFL, and W5WMU in LA who had
difficulty pulling my LP backscatter signal out of the noise (presumably off
the back of his beam).  Off to Bed at 0630Z.

There was surprising low band occupancy on 40M early Sunday morning and 20M was
still dead.  Weakness prevailed and I brought up Packet to see where the missing
multipliers might be hiding.  KE0Z/VE4 was found on 40M but NO sign of SC or NE.
 Time to call CQ.  W4BTZ/M called in with #44 from SC at 1535Z.  Time to move
the 20M, Beam NW and hope for a call from NE or VY1.  NO JOY until after 1700Z
when VY1 is being spotted on 15M.  Never found VY1EA but VY0JA showed a little
later.  NO spots from NEBR since the start of the contest.  Time to take a nap.
 FINALLY, W0KT from NE is spotted on 20M for the Sweep after 12 hours of chair
time.  That's enough SS for me.

What JOY it was to see the computers clearly now after Cataract Surgery
Thursday.
Doc hit a Home Run with his "intermediate" Lens selection 8-)))
Should have done this years ago!

Tom N4KG in North Alabama

Icom 746 at 100W w/cascaded 500Hz Filters
80M Elevated GP
40M 80M Dipole/Ladderline 120' NE/SW, 40M Inverted Vee 60' NNW/SSE
20/15M  TH7 at 40'