[3830] SS CW N7WA Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 8 08:20:00 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Haven't been on the air since the IARU and didn't get any antenna work done
this summer so I wasn't sure what to expect. I tried to psych myself up with
a bit of heavy metal AC/DC before the test to get the juices running because
I wanted to hit the ground running. Can't say it worked as I ended up with my
slowest first hour in SS in as long as I can remember. In the second hour, when

local QRP'r NN7SS came by for a Q, he was ahead of me in total QSO count.
Now Mark, NN7SS is a fine op but I still think I should be able to outpace
a QRP station! <sigh> Fortunately, things picked up and I beat most of my
following hourly goals and ended up just short of that elusive 1000Q goal.
(Probably could have made it if my first hour had been better.)

SO2R worked great - felt really comfortable and made 140 Q's on the 2nd radio.
Even found 5 mults with the second rig. The EWA section finally showed up in
the log for the first time in 3 years. Alas, 4 others didn't: PR, MB, NL, and
NWT.

I think a new Q-signal is in order - QBF for Brain Fart. You just send that
when
you want everything resent because you hit some key on the computer that you
shouldn't have. It would be easier to just send QBF and get everything again.

Most memorable moment was when K2UF and K2FU both called at the same time. No,
not one after the other - both at the same time! I thought I was really losing
it for a moment. It might have surprised them too.

I think there are Call History files out there with my CHECK incorrectly
stated. I don't use one but I was asked innumerable times if my CHECK was
right? I mean HUNDREDS of times. I can only guess that my check info is being
pre-filled with something other than the correct value on some loggers. Maybe
somebody can drop me a line about that if you use one of those. Really wasted a
lot of MY time.

It was fun to get back in the game.
cheers
dink