[3830] SS CW K6LA Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 8 13:18:55 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX

  160:     0
   20: 431-2
   15:   182
   10:     1

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy followed me home from PEI, although he didn't inflict quite as much
damage as in CQWW Phone. The first time I tried to make a QSO on the 2nd radio,
I couldn't get any power out of the amp. I didn't want to get out of the chair,
but by the 6th hour, I had to be able to make 2nd radio QSOs to keep the rate
up, so I took a 1/2 hour break. It turned out it was the bandpass filter, so I
took it out of the line. I also had some problems with my SO2R switchbox. Twice
it stopped working completely and a few times it changed my code speed,
sometimes ridiculously high and sometime ridiculously low.

I never got real big rate the first few hours, but had a 100 hour in the 9th
hour. That was different. I thought I had the sweep when VO1TA called in on 40m
early Saturday evening, but after sending him my exchange, I never heard him
again. Fortunately, another VO1 called in Sunday morning, as I never heard one
while S&Ping.

In reviewing my notes from past contests, a consistent refrain was not to work
the last two hours during low sunspot periods. Last years note was "Don't work
the last two hours - AT ALL." Giving up the early off-time made me go a few
minutes into the last two hours, but that was all. I never took a sleep break,
only a number of 1/2 hour offs.

It seemed like there wasn't the volume of fresh meat on Sunday like last year,
but the Sunday afternoon doldrums were better than in the past, except for last
year.

I'll be on from PEI for the Phone SS.

73, Ken, K6LA