[3830] SS CW K4NO Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 8 19:35:27 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4NO
Operator(s): K4NO
Station: K4NO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alabama

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Missed VY1 for the sweep, heard one on 15 meters but couldn't break the pile.

Thank you to KS4L for working on the K3's and getting them ready for the
contest season.

Wasn't going to operate in this one at all, station was dismantled due to work
being done in the basement. I wasn't very motivated to put things back in some
sort of order. With the temp expected to drop below freezing over the weekend,
as soon as I got home from work on Friday, I had to do some work outside to
winterize things at my house and the house on the property to my NE that we
purchased several weeks ago. As soon as I get other projects completed, I will
begin to install the worlds most expensive beverage antenna system on the new
property.

 I had some extra time on Friday night and needed to get the box holding the
new operating desk out of the garage so I put that together. That got me
started doing other radio stuff. Updated N1MM on the 3 station computers, did
some other stuff inside.

Saturday morning, did a bunch of errands in town, got home in time to watch the
start of the Alabama LSU football game.  One of the big problems with the CW SS
is its during college football season and I can't watch the football game and
operate the radio at the same time.  During halftime, I ran the coax from the
antenna switch to the shack.  This was about the time the contest started.
After the game, I wasn't in the mood to do much but I felt the need to
contribute to the ACG SS effort.   Hooked up the K3 and got it interfaced with
N1MM, worked about 50 folks and quit.  Thought we would go out to eat but those
plans got changed.  Back to the shack and found a frequency on 80 meters.  Band
was good and it was fun to work familiar calls again.  Some of these guys I
have worked in the SS for many years and it was fun to exchange the report
again this year.

Was going to knock off around 1 AM until I remembered the time change, went for
about another hour.  Got up and operated about 2 hours, went to church, got back
on around noon.  Operated until 4:30, back to church.  Back on at 6:30 until the
end.  At the end, I needed VE5 and VY1 for the sweep, never found the VY1 after
20 closed. Was called by VE5ZX on 80 meters late to get number 79.

thanks for the QSO's

Greg K4NO