[3830] SS CW N9NE Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 8 21:48:05 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N9NE
Operator(s): N9NE
Station: N9NE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WI

Club: Central Wisconsin Radio Amateurs

Comments:

Greetings,

I think I am still a bit rummy from sitting at the operating position for 24
hours! Nevertheless, here are a few random observations:

*K9JWV (QRP UT) and I were each other's first contacts at the starting bell.
He was originally from Wausau, WI, and I live 50 miles south of there. My
original call was K9LWV.

*Out of my 634 contacts, 46 were with other QRP stations, a bit over 7% of all
my contacts. If a 'Q' station can find an open fq and 'run', the chances of
picking up other QRP stations (as well as others!) increases.  The trick is to
maintain an open run spot, because the QRO stations will soon wall you in or
simply call CQ right on top of you. Here's an example from my log when I was on
7.062 MHz:

1625z  0459 Q 58 WI  K8WSN      0122 Q 60 MI
1626z  0460 Q 58 WI  WA8REI     0196 Q 65 MI
1627z  0461 Q 58 WI  K4ORD      0209 Q 59 VA
1629z  0462 Q 58 WI  KE0G       0151 Q 67 MN

*K8MM/QRP in MI had over 800 contacts when I heard his S9+ signal in early to
mid-Sunday afternoon!  Many of the earlier Q stations I worked had considerably
more contacts than I, so expect some records and/or overall high scores to come
out of this contest.

*My only Nebraska contact came when I was 'running'.

* I missed the usual two sections" NL and NWT.  I know that NL exists because I
drove the 550 miles from the SW corner of the island to St. Johns in the SE back
in the late 70's in a VW camper. A weak NL station actually called CQ atop of me
at one point on 40M; I could hear him but he could not hear me. I never did find
a pileup for either section on 20 or 15M.

* 40 and 80M were in fantastic condition this weekend. They were virtually
noise-free. Even close-in stations were strong in the wee hours.

72/73
Todd
N9NE
Amherst, WI