[3830] WAE RTTY NP3D/W1(EW1AR) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Nov 17 20:06:21 PST 2010

                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: NP3D/W1
Operator(s): EW1AR
Station: K1TTT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PERU, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 35:59

   80:  225   225    20   164
   40:  368   368   100   207
   20:  466   466   540   150
   15:  395   395   510   138
   10:   39    39    30    42
-------------------------------
Total: 1493  1493  1200   701  Total Score = 1,887,793

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Being very busy at work all year 2010, I had to reduce my RTTY Contest activity,
but not for WAEDC RTTY Contest, this Contest is an exception.
...I took day off on Friday, stopped by in the morning at Shop Rite supermarket
and purchased food and soft drink for two and a half days. Then I drove to Dave,
K1TTT; he lives in small town Peru, MA which is located in 200 miles away from
my QTH in Long Island, NY. It took me 4 hours driving and by Friday afternoon I
was greeted by Dave and his "Lucky Dog". This was my 4th trip to Dave for WAEDC
RTTY Contest and probably 12th or 13th trip to his super station for the last 5
years.
Dave uses N1MM Contest software, I am using at home Writelog. Every time when I
come, Dave has to teach me again every year, how to use nice N1MM program. This
year was no exception.
I started the Contest on 40 meters CQing and on 80 meters - S&P. 40 meters were
good as well as 80 meters. Europe was loud that first night on both bands. I
went to sleep at 700Z Saturday having 311 Q's in the log; one of the last QSO
before 5 hours break was nice contact with ZM2B on 40 meters at 0652Z.
In the morning I woke up later than I thought; started at 0658Z on 20 meters
with a big pile up. And 15 meters were opened with plenty of EU stations. I had
nice pile up during the day on 10, 15 and even managed to make 39 QSO's on 10
meters. Had 4 QSO's with Mike, K4GMH; every time his numbers sent to me were
lower then mine. I was happy on that and hoped that I can beat Mike at this
time. [No way...] Pile up was so nice all the time, that I almost forgot about
QTC's. Some stations (DL stations included) were sending messages "NO QTC"
which I did not understand why. This discouraged me some times to call other
stations and ask them to send/receive QTC's... Did not want to receive again -
"NO QTC here"...
10 meters band looked much better than a year ago. I think that many
participants simply did not look on 10 meters during the Contest.
...Analyzing the result after the Contest I found my major mistake - overlooked
QTC's.
This was mistake number one. But I think if I sent more QTC's, then I would
make less QSO's. Who knows where is truth.
Mistake number two - (or may be even 1st mistake)- I am a smoker and taking
breaks out for the cigarette really affected my score. Dave does not allow
smoking in the shack (and this is right). I tried to smoke during sending QTC's
Hi Hi...
All in all - this Contest was a fun for me. Impressed of a high Claimed Score
of Fabi - VA2UP along with Mike - K4GMH, of course, and many other friends.
BTW, after the Contest I checked the WAE historical results for some reason
(http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/contest/waedc/en/archive/results/) and found
out that Mike, K4GMH, participated in WAEDC 1st time in... 1974, wow. Just 36
years ago. This is hard to believe, unless at that time K4GMH belonged to some
other ham, hihi...
Well, I  failed to win again, but it is always next time...
Then, see you all next time!
Many thanks to Dave, K1TTT, the Management of WAEDC RTTY Contest and all
fellows Contesters who called me and answered my calls.
Wondering who participated the most times in WAEDC RTTY for all the years?

73's and God Bless to all
Andrei NP3D a proud member of YCCC.