[3830] SS SSB K6VVA SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 21 21:54:46 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: RF Hole QTH
Operating Time (hrs): ~14

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

* PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY *
* PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY *
* PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY *
* PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY * PSE COPY *

If I hear * PSE COPY * one more time I will S-C--R---E----A-----M ;-(

Home QTH RF Hole operation w/500w, A3S @ 30ft and 40m/80m low Inv Vees.

Terrible band condx compared to the CW SS weekend.  Major thunderstrom on
Saturday Night with mega thunder resulted in a QSY back to the couch.

Although I'm improving, due to lower back & butt problems, even the new
Orthopedic cushions necessitated periodically standing up during the first 3
hours (which were terrible rates of 46, 33 and 45).  So I operated the rest of
my on & off stints with an Ergo keyboard, confuzer monitor and tiny TS-480
control head on top of empty wine boxes on the desk (i.e., I operated about 11
hours standing up).  Working a SSB contest is bad enough, but standing up?

I'll blame the latter and logger for some problems with a few Q's not ending up
in the log, which necessitate duping some folks.  Apologies to W9RE and the
others for the extra hassles.

Spent about one hour to work VY1EI and VE8EV on Saturday, only to have VE8EGR
call me Sunday although in the QRM thought he was VE3EGR and almost logged him
as ON.  Very strange to NOT work ANY of the ON guys during the first 200 or
more Q's.

Amazing to snag WNY for #78 on 75m during the last half hour, but never heard a
peep out of SC or WPA.  Although I operated with packet this time, I really
didn't really make the most effective use of it.

During the numerous periods of unanswered CQ's, I started thinking about maybe
mounting keyboard, monitor & TS-480 control head onto some kind of platform
above my treadmill, so at least I get some walking exercise to mitigate the
{YAWN} boredom.

A CW contest is like music to me.  After only 2 hours of SSB noise, I started
to get a headache and my ears hurt.    The best moments for me were working
some of the hard-core CW contesting guys I normally only know by their
(electronic) fists.  I did a double-take, however, when N3BB called me with his
#2 ... I didn't think Mr. Booga even owned a microphone :^)

24 hour contests are too much for an OF.  I can hardling wait for the next 4
hour CW SPRINT.

73 & Tnx for the Q's and mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust