[3830] SS SSB KL7RA(AL7IF) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 21 22:27:36 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF
Station: KL7RA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Kenai Alaska

First, thanks to Rich, KL7RA for allowing me to move in for the weekend.

I wanted to come down to Kenai and earn a very good score... I fell a little
short of my goals, but I think that conditions were less than optimal.

I started on 15, then moved to 20, then 40, then 80... and the perception here
is that the bands quit earlier than one would expect... so by the time I got to
80, I was there an hour or two earlier than I would have expected, and the rates
headed south. Around 8Z I debated whether my crummy overnight rate would be
higher than the rate that I would get at the end of an extended nap... and I
took the shot and took the break a little earlier, hoping that the morning rate
would be the same or higher... and that I would be there when the bands busted
open... It is hard to know if I made the right decision, but the first hour
after my time off was as good, or slightly better than my last... then the
bands opened up, and I had good rate until about 21Z... which was better than I
had expected.

The real limiting factor was the bands quitting earlier, and opening later...
the extra hour of each band would have made the difference between an OK score
and a great score.

I think I dumped a few Qs... but I am relatively new to this contest, so I will
make notes for the next time.

I missed a sweep by just one - KP2 - that woulda been nice... but I focused on
rate.

Thanks to everyone that called!