[3830] SS SSB W1XX Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 22 09:31:58 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W1XX
Operator(s): W1XX
Station: W1XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: RI

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Got the idea to try QRP during the 2010 NEQP...where I found that even though
the wattmeter is barely moving, you can actually get runs going calling CQ.
Plus in S & P someone else almost always beats you out.  So you gotta stand in
line which is  wasteful.  Well not quite the same in SS Phone where I did
mostly did  S & P always looking for the opportunity to find a clear frequency
to call CQ.  Not always easy especially on 20 and 40.  But on sunday morning I
was surprised to get the rate meter to click up to 90 on 80M and 114 on 40M for
short runs until I got crowded out by big signals. My initial expectation was to
hopefully make 500 Qs...but then raised it to 600 which I made thanks to nice
propogation on 15...but Sunday afternoon 100K seemed within reach...but fell a
little short as the last couple of hours were rather dreadful as stations had a
hard time hearing me with no runs possible.  Near the end of the contest, N7TR
had a hard time getting my PREC...several "Quebecs" did not seem to cut
it....but QUACK QUACK got through FB!  Got lotsa compliments on the high # for
QRP. 15 meters really made a big difference in the score as Qs were often made
on first calls no problemo.  Best part of QRP operating is that you can take a
bathroom break withiout fear of losing your run frequency...'cuz you don't have
one!  Thanks for all the good  "ears" out there that pulled us out of the noise.

TX/RX:  FT-1000MP @ 5 w
Ants:  80:  19.5 m vertical with 32 rad.
       40:  2 el M2 Yagi at 100 ft.
       20-15-10:  KT36XA @ 95 ft
       RX:  Beverages for 80