[3830] SS SSB AE6RF(@N6CK) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 22 12:10:57 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: AE6RF
Operator(s): AE6RF
Station: N6CK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SCV

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Saturday

K6WC @ AE6RF: We had a big pre-Thanksgiving party so Saturday was pretty much a
wasted day for Sweepstakes. I figured I could do a little operating after coming
home mid-evening. My expectations were for a "couple of late night hours BIC."
This reminded me why I don't operate HF from home anymore. Still
topographically challenged. Still noise infested. Stayed up at least an hour
later than I should have, yet managed ~4 hrs BIC for 72 Qs.

Sunday

AE6RF @ N6CK: Started with my tail-dragging (see "stayed up at least an hour
later than I should have" above). Strong BIC-motivation got me moving at to
Greg's at close to the expected time. Started set-up and didn't find my voice
files. "OK, I can do this." So did the next 11 hours of the contest "live
voice." Every contact. Every CQ.

Started out on 20m but quickly moved to 15m to get some "elbow room." Had the
best success of the day on 15m and pretty much worked it into the ground. Moved
to 20m, did OK on S&P but couldn't get a run going to save my life. Moved to 40m
at about the right time, but ran into the same thing on 40m.

Finally moved to 80m much earlier than planned and that was actually
successful. Worked a number of locals in rapid succession which was good for
the wounded morale. Spent the rest of the contest bouncing between 80m and 40m
as I worked out the bands.

No "big problems." I didn't get snowed in. The power didn't go out. I wasn't on
the air for the majority of the rain static. That said, I'm not sure what
happened on 20m & 40m. No traction, no rate, so I kept trying different things
to make Qs.

Wound up about 70 Qs short of my goal. But I was happy to get the ones that I
did. And was very grateful when the contest ended.

Best moments: Righteous run on 15m, working a lot of NCCCers almost immediately
upon arriving on 80m, hearing Locust and N6GQ on the air, and working a Q with a
very young YL being coached through the contact. I don't mind losing rate for
that... (Note to self: send QSL card for that one.)

It's done. Hopefully my vocal cords will forgive me in a couple of days.

Is it 160m season yet?