[3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 22 17:31:15 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

The last few years, I would run up a great score in the first half of the
contest only to see it get whittled away by lousy hours on 20 meters on Sunday.
I did some much needed maintenance on the yagi and hoped for the best. But
conditions this year from up in NE were a bit strange. I couldn’t buy a
contact on 20 meters in the first hour. I had a nice, clear frequency, but no
callers. Meanwhile, 15 was wide open I and figured everyone ran up there, but
that didn’t work either. After a totally horrible hour, I ran down to 40
meters with my tail between my legs and hoped for the best. Fortunately, I was
able to piece together some reasonable runs there until I was able to get to 80
meters, my money band. But I dreaded Sunday when I would have to move back up to
20 meters.

Finally when I arrived on 20 meters Sunday morning â€" great news â€" monster
runs! I haven’t seen that for a number of years. And it made the SS a lot
more enjoyable!

After many years of being a relatively easy section, Vermont became semi-rare
this weekend. It looked like NWT might have been easier to work this time! The
pileups certainly had that zing of many years ago as many stations mentioned,
“first Vermont”.