[3830] SS SSB K3MIM(@W3LPL) Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Nov 26 12:58:22 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3MIM
Operator(s): K3MIM
Station: W3LPL

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

W3IDT and K3MIM at W3LPL:

1. Once again we (Bob, w3idt & Miriam, k3mim) extend our appreciation to
Phyllis for letting us occupy part of her home on a "non-dx-contest"
weekend, and to Frank, w3lpl, for arranging a special configuration of
his m/m dx contest station for our use in SS/SSB: Two radios each band -
one for each of us - and two separate computer logging networks.

2. We did not do as well as last year, but we still generated 459,780
points for PVRC from Frank's station.

3. Basic results:
        RawQs    DupQs     NetQs   Sections  Points
W3IDT  1463     38        1425        79     225,150
K3MIM  1498     13        1485        79     234,630

Both missed NT.
Miriam won the family trophy this year.

          80      40      20    15      total
w3idt:	425	677	353	8	1463
k3mim:  370	774	346	8	1498

Note the few dups k3mim gets: Guys remember they worked her (except for
the fellow who thought one-contact-per-band).

As last year, both scores submitted to the ARRL robot as Multi-Op, each
with a single operator.  Some individuals would consider our manner of
band switching as "receiving assistance from other individuals". Makes
no difference to club points; removes any question.

4. Band usage
Once again, we stayed in the Extra / Advanced band segments... K3MIM did
not receive a single incident of harassment based on gender and her high
serial numbers; she's not likely to return to the General class segments
any time soon.  An harasser on 40 played a recording of a W3IDT cq to
which someone responded - a novel way to get a qso; the harassment
stopped instantly.

5. Rates
Neither of us could get very good rates... not like the multiple hours
of 100+ from last year, and nothing close to the one 140/hour k3mim had
in 2008 (matched by a w3idt 110/hour for a combined 250/hour). In fact,
there was only one hour at 90 (by k3mim).

Don't know why, except bands seemed noisy and qrm was very heavy (maybe
due to bad frequency choices) leading to many requests for fills. In
addition, 'MIM received very many requests for fills for her check of 89
- on all bands, whether she used "eighty-nine", "eight-nine", or
"eight-niner".  Next year she'll likely use a different check, maybe
"zero-eight" as the year she got her Extra.

6. K3MIM had nice chat with KX9X/1's "guest operator".

7. Were ops in NE embarrassed at the (lack of) participation in the CW
portion?  We had a total of 30 NE qsos, more than about 35 other
sections (Examples, AR at 26, SB at 24, WY a 22, WMA at 17, WV at 18)

8. Final result: We're happy.

Bob, w3idt, and Miriam, k3mim
w3idt at arrl.net  k3mim at arrl.net