[3830] CQWW CW KL5DX(@KL7AA) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 28 16:33:23 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KL5DX
Operator(s): N5XZ, KL7SB
Station: KL7AA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KL7

   80:  113     8        7
   40:  240    18       25
   20: 1021    31       93
   15:  875    21       42
   10:    5     2        2

Club: Alaska Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, this was a fun contest! Other than the fact that the bands cratered in the
middle of the contest, it would have been almost perfect (relatively speaking,
of course). 40 and 80 were practically dead on the 2nd night after being HOT,
the first. Luckily, the bands recovered somewhat. I am an admitted rate junkie
and I got my fix this weekend! This was the first time I tried a M/S with the
able help of KL7SB for a few hours, and he allowed me to rest and relax a bit.
Thanks as always to the Anchorage Amateur Radio Club (KL7AA) for allowing me to
use the station. Thanks to all the other contesters including my friends from
Alaska and from Texas. You know who you are. As always, there is a bit of a
noise issue at this QTH, and the antennas are a bit of a compromise, so I can
just imagine what it would have been like with a quieter QTH and bit more
aluminum (or copper tape!)

15 meters started out being the money band, but after the "solar event" 20 was
it. I missed the good 10 meter openings with a good run on 15...I just couldn't
walk away from it.

This contest also reminds me how much a love CW contest vs. SSB contests; I
feel like I upped my game a bit during this one.

Rig: K3
Amp: Acom 2000A
Ant: 3-el Cushcraft A-3 at 40 feet
     SteppIR Vertical on roof of building