[3830] CQWW CW GM7R(GM0NAI) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 29 08:39:28 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GM7R
Operator(s): GM0NAI
Station: GM0NAI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NR Inverness
Operating Time (hrs): 36:53

  160:  441    14       50
   80:  764    17       63
   40:  972    29       88
   20: 1087    24       69
   15:  923    19       60
   10:  129     8       23

Great contest again. CQWW DX CW is THE contest.
My first SOAB CQWW DX entry with antennas for all bands available.
Arrived home from work Friday night and found the 160m Tee broken and on the
ground. The 6 inches of snow that had fallen and some ice had overloaded the
connection at the Tee. Had to do a temporary fix in darkness with a gas solder
torch and oxidized copper wire! Luckily the broken end didn't slide back to the
pulley on the top of the tower as I don't have a pull down rope to retrieve it.

Next the snow returned with "Thunder Snow" serious lightning storm that I have
never seen before. Disconnected the radio etc and waited it out. Luckily passed
by before the start.
Had very high level noise from static which got even worse during the snow
showers but luckily the lighting stayed away.
The 160m temporary repair failed during the early hours of Saturday and had to
be repaired again in daylight. Still to fix permanently before ARRL 160 next
week.
Had a target of 4000 Qs which was achieved but the mult count very low. Need a
better strategy and a 2nd mult radio next time. first 48hr CW contest with over
4000 Qs and the bar is now raised to 5000!
Managed only 37 hours in the chair after taking too long a break on Saturday
night.

Looking forward to next years contest already.

Thanks for all the QSOs

73

Jim
GM0NAI