[3830] CQWW CW KX9X/1 SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 29 17:01:47 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KX9X/1
Operator(s): KX9X
Station: KX9X

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: VT

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:    7     5        6
   20:  112    21       63
   15:  112    16       66
   10:   19     8       13

I've heard from many ops new to contesting that "I only have a hundred watts and
a dipole; I can't work anybody." So, being a veteran of many a QRP effort with
good yagis, I decided I wanted to see what could realistically be done with QRP
and a simple wire antenna. Grabbed my FT-817 and went to my girlfriend's
parents' place in central Vermont, where I have a G5RV-style open-wire fed
dipole in a horizontal Vee up about 45 feet. It's oriented towards the
south-southwest; great for Caribbean and South America, not so hot for Europe.
I also have S7 noise on 40 and 80 meters at that QTH, which certainly didn't
help matters.

My goal was not to accumulate a big score; I wanted to see if DXCC in a weekend
was possible with my simple setup. I got close; 86 DXCC entities. I snagged most
of the easy ones, of course, but also managed some real surprises. All but two
of my QSOs were search & pounce. I had no potency on 40 and 80, so I simply
didn't use those bands, maximized my time on the high bands and called it quits
when 20 died.

Best QSOs:

- Working a UA9 in Zone 18 over the pole Saturday night, nice and fluttery.
- 4L0A Sunday morning.
- Working a JA on 20 Saturday night.
- Cracking the 15 meter pileup on D4C in 2 calls.
- 5R8WW on 15 Sunday afternoon, right at his local sunset.
- ZM4T on 15 right at his sunrise Sunday.. man, was he loud.

Heard ZL8X on 15 Saturday afternoon, but couldn't work 'em.

If I had worked all DXCC entities I heard, I'd probably have about 110.

So, what can you work with 5 watts and a wire? Plenty.

Africa:
5R C5 CN CT3 D4 EA8 EA9

Asia:
4L 5B JA UA9

Europe:
9A CT CU DL E7 EA EA6 EI ES EU F G GI GM HA HB I IS IT9 LA LX LY LZ OE
OH OH0 OK OM ON OZ PA S5 SM SP UA3 UR YL YU ZA

North America:
8P C6 CO FJ FM HI HK0/a HR J3 K KP2 KP4 TI V2 V4 VE VP2E VP2M VP2V VP5
XE YN ZF

Oceania:
KH6 ZL

South America:
9Y CE CX HC HK LU P4 PJ2 PJ4 PY PZ YV

Worked All Continents on 2 bands and 14 countries short of DXCC in 18 hours
operating time with a true peanut whistle.

If you think you can't work anybody with a low-power station and wire antennas,
you're probably selling your station short.

73,

Sean KX9X