[3830] CQWW CW W2RE M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 29 18:24:34 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE, WW2DX, AB3CX
Station: W2RE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: FN22

  160:  149    19       80
   80:  586    23      103
   40: 1379    39      139
   20: 1202    37      137
   15:  869    32      129
   10:   65    20       65

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I am not sure if I will ever see these types of conditions again in my lifetime.
I truly hope I am wrong.

Since the M/S during SSCW was so much fun we figured we would give it a whirl
in CQWWCW. I have to say the one thing I really like about M/S is you can get
in nap's!

We had a few bugs early on in the test Friday evening into Saturday when the 3
ele 40 had intermittent high SWR then we had the 80m vertical go dead only to
find the barrel connector had some corrosion and luckily that was an easy fix.
Running on the 80m dipole @ 100' seemed to do just fine in the meantime. Also,
being at 2100 ASL in the Catskills has its challenges, for the duration of the
test we had gusts to 50mph and blizzard snow! It's not fun leaving a nice warm
shack heated with 8877's to head out into pitch black night and dealing with
mother nature. We had a couple hours before the test to rig the shack from a
S/O to a M/S and basically we ran on the 1000mp and chased mults on the K3.
Other then the antenna bumps all the equipment worked flawlessly.

Friday's start was not the greatest for us, the first hour was not great at
all, we just had a really hard time getting situated and finding our comfort
zone, I think our first hour was less then 60 q's. Soon after that we settled
in and the rate quickly jumped. At the first 24 hour mark we were 10 q's short
of 2400 q's so we were very happy with a 100/hr average for the first 24.

Some neat memories:

1. 1:30pm on Friday, Ray finished up a 800' beverage so we decided to play
around, we almost could not believe it when we heard HB9LCW S2 on 3507 at
1:30pm, then we head to 160 and hear EU at 2pm! At the time we figured it was
the best beverage in the world not knowing that these incredible low band
conditions have already started.

2. Running on 160, well you all know 160 was just unreal. It sounded more like
20m then anything, I mean 4L0A S9? TA3 S9? !! We decided to run and we did! I
think we got about 60 q's in about 45 minutes.

3. JA's REAL LOUD, Saturday morning Mike had a couple JA's call while he was
running EU, he decided to swing to JA and it was just endless! This happened
again Sunday late afternoon, lots of nice AS mults.

4. 10m, 10 was not "open" in the sense 1 watt works the world but there was a
lot of great DX at the noise floor and being up in the mountains there is NO
QRN, sometimes you think how did I work that guy and how did he hear me! Stuff
from ST2, ZL8 to G6 in log! Very cool!

Our high hopes goal was 4K q's and 6m points, and when we reached the 6m mark
with 12 hours to go we realized that the far fetched 4K q goal was well in
reach! Still can't believe the great scores we see coming in. Lots of records
being broken, something tells me these will stick around for a while. Congrats
to the KC1XX team and K1LZ team, FB!

As others have mentioned, DX stations not IDing for minutes is not cool. Also
crowd control does not exist when fresh meat shows up on the map. I really love
it when I hear M/M stations calling over and over and over and over even while
the DX is sending his report to the current station is just plain LIDish.

Some stats:

DL makes up 14% of the total q's - Wow

Best 30min was 208q's
Best 60min was 199q's
Best 120min was 177 q's
We worked 1048 q's in grid square JO - Is that possible?

CW just rules.

Thanks to W2RE for inviting myself and Mike up to operate his newly built QTH.
Things can only improve from this point forward. There are still 3 more tower
bases to be poured on the initial building permit. I guess once those are in he
goes and gets another building permit ;) Thanks to Lori KB2HZI for keeping us
well fed over the weekend! Thanks to Mike AB3CX for his mad CW skilz! Really a
great op and a really cool guy to operate with.

If you want to check out some pics and info of the station check it out here:

http://www.W2RE.com

73 see you guys in the next one!

Lee - WW2DX