[3830] CQWW CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 02:58:10 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

  160:  762    21       75
   80: 1037    19       74
   40: 1628    28       97
   20: 1316    30       94
   15:  974    27       94
   10:   51    16       42

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Great condx!  I decided to focus almost exclusively on RUNNING in this one and
as always, MULTIPLIERS suffered as a result.  I had intended on chasing mults
on the second radio but the rates were just too high for me to do it well, eg:

8 hours at 180+
8 hours at 160+
14 hours at 130+

There was not enough time (for me anyway) to focus properly on the second radio
as rate simply did not allow it - (my slowest hours were three at 80, three at
70, one at 50 and one at 40. The latter two were S&P hours to try to raise the
low multiplier total near the end).

This is PROBALY not the best way to do it - but final score is always a blend
of the two.  A better, more balanced approach probably would have been to break
up the runs a bit as fewer Q's and more mults probably would have fetched a
higher score.

I am still learning this SO2R stuff - it's a long way to go from from paper
logging in the late 1950's to multi processing in my head for 48 hours.  Others
do it far better than I do...

I have two PET PEEVES in this one:

The first was ATTACK/DOG, non-stop calling from some stations in Eastern
Europe....Robert S53R/ST2AR noted this and, for me, it was awful around 1230z
on Sunday morning on 15M -  I was so TIRED and this was so annoying that I went
back to 20M where it was less prevalent.  What is the purpose of this?  You
answer GM3? and six stations elsewhere in Europe just call incessantly for 90
seconds?  What's the point?  Kinda makes you want to "forget" to log these guys
when you work them just to get them out of the way.....and send them a "message"
for the next one perhaps...oh well.

Second PET PEEVE - stations who do not ID.  I try to do it every other qso and
sometimes when the rate is a bit slower after every qso.  I had to do alot of
waiting in this one - and even worked a bunch of guys without knowing their
calls - and then had to ask them 5 mins later who they were....I guess packet &
skimmer causes this to happen....YUCK!

Thanks to all for a fun weekend though.  Nice to see lots of old friends again
in this one...

73 JEFF VY2ZM/K1ZM