[3830] CQWW CW OV3X(OZ8AE) SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 09:30:25 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OV3X
Operator(s): OZ8AE
Station: OZ8AE

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: Virum
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:  566    30      115

Club: Danish DX-group

Comments:

After having fun in the CQ WW SSB with a Carolina Windom 80 and having so much
DX on 40 meters, I had the idea that I should try that band out during the CQ
WW CW. - Put up a 43 meter vertical LOOP antenna between af flagpole 14 meters
high and another support 12 meters high. - As there was a big distance between
the loop and the flagpole I also made a wire vertical for 40 meter with feed
point 4 meter above ground and 4 tuned radials. SWR perfect!.
3-5 S-units difference between the 2 antennas - over time - or in certain
directions. - Someone showed up and asked me also to use an Ameritron ALS-600.
So I started up with my trusty IC-775DSP - with only 40 watt out into the
ALS-600 gave me steady 500 watts out.
The contest started fine and I worked what was in the DX-spedition zones 7-8-9,
it was so easy and I ended up with a KH6.
A break after 320 QSOs, 100 contries and 20 zones. - The whole system left with
power on and had a good walk with my wife in heavy snow showers and back for a
cup of coffee. -
Back for operating and on a frequency I found a new multiplier. That should be
worked first.
I called - but nothing happened!!!. - The PA amp was OK. - disconnected the
IC-775DSP and examined it, but could only see that I had 24 volt on the PA but
no output. The RX was still fine.
What then? - Found my IC-706MKIIG as I had left my old IC-740 in the summer
house. - But it was a BIG difference to use the IC-706MKIIG on 40 meters here
in Europe. Big signals were able to make it a bit difficult to receive the
stations I worked. - After going to Fast AGC it was better and then after
adding the Timewave DSP-59+ it got even better. - No interface to the PA so I
used the 100 watts for the remaining part of the contest.
After starting up the IC-706MKIIG my TR program start fooling me. After every
2-3 QSO it suddenly switched to SSB and didn't key my transmitter. When I had
the next break and shut down the computer, the program worked OK again. But
that was a couple of hours with ALT-M again and again. :-)
It was difficult to work the contest compared to what I had when I started.
On sunday morning I tuned 7000-7100 KHz and the computer told me that every one
I heard was worked. A long time with CQ did not produce any QSO so I had to
change the plan.
The week before I had put up a 80 meter inverted Coaxial L-antenna - bazoka
like - idea from NZ4O and with elevated feedpoint and 3 tuned radials. It was
resonance at 3540 KHz so I changed to a new log and used OZ8AE on 80 meters.
More on that under OZ8AE.
Sunday evening I heard arcing in my MN-2000 and the 100 watt could not be the
problem. I switched the MN-2000 antenna switch and the arcing stopped - but so
did my IC-706 - and the contest was over.
Right after we had a thunder and lightening and when I unplugged the PL-259 I
had arcing so I had to ground all of them to the rear of the MN-2000 tuner.
It was static and most of it came from my wire vertical for 40 meter. I forgot
to make a DC (coil or balun) over the feedpoint so static builded up. -
On monday morning I switched on the IC-706 again and it worked again fine. Been
working a few QSOs with it since and it works OK. - The next problem is to fix
the IC-775DSP transmitting problem.
Hope all of You had a very good weekend and sorry I didn't make it.
But - AH2R - ZL - 8Q7 and many others worked in the pile up with 100 watts and
the 40 meter antennas. Great job.