[3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 12:11:37 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

  160:  372    13       57
   80: 1299    21       77
   40: 1756    29      104
   20: 1274    27       98
   15: 1308    27       90
   10:  122    17       41

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Before the contest, I made two notes to myself - move multipliers and take good
notes. I did neither. Well, I moved two mults that I remember. The rate fest
distracted me. The first 25 hours were all at 100+, including a personal best
188 clock hour that was shortly thereafter superceded by a 191. There were only
three clock hours in which I took no off-time that the rate was below 100 and
one of those was a 97 and I only took off time in 4 hours. Amazing. I think
packet spotting keeps me from making that coveted 200 hour. Guys call in two or
three at a time and I can pick out calls, but all of a sudden, it's just mud
with more callers than I can count. I'm lucky to get a pair of letters. And
then, everybody thinks they have those two letters.

Both mornings it appeared 10 meters was going to bust open to Europe, but alas,
either no one was checking the band, or only stations with big 10 meter antennas
made it. The stations heard were really loud, so I suspect the former.

One of the notes I wish I had made was when two K3's (or N3's or W3's, I don't
remember) both with two letter suffixes one dit off each other on the last
letter(but I don't remember the letters.) The guy I didn't come back to came
back to me with a correction, so I changed to his correct call, only to have
the original guy then call in correcting it back to his call. Only then did I
realize what was going on.

Murphy stayed away for the most part, except the top 15 meter antenna stopped
turning. Fortunately, it was pointed towards Europe, but that probably cost me
some Oceania mults because the lower 15 meter antennas can't turn around far
enough.

The biggest news for me was this personal best is only 10,000 points claimed
score behind VY2ZM. After getting totally blown out in Phone Sweepstakes, I'm
glad I'm still making progress on catching up to Jeff.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT