[3830] CQWW CW AB1J SOSB/40 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 16:54:31 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:  226    20       85

All S&P, many of them really tough, but I still had a blast.  This is the best
contest of all.

I used the same MMD MD-40 “stealth” antenna I did in the CQ WW RTTY (see
review in June 2010 QST), out the 3rd floor window, over the lawn and down the
hill.  Again, it worked well for a compromise antenna.  I ran a full 100 W,
rather than the 50 watt rated limit.  I just couldn’t bear to give up 3 db in
a contest.

I encountered something new this time.  P3N was sending his exchange, 59920 or,
more likely, ENN2T, at about 300 WPM, just a buzz.  I doubt if anybody could
copy it; I couldn’t, for sure.  Now, I know this is a call sign contest and
most exchanges are essentially meaningless once you know the call, but I still
expect something I can copy.  I have to send a copyable exchange since W/Ks are
free rangers.  As a frequent contester, I knew immediately when I heard P3N what
he would send; so did my logging program.  But I wonder what new folks think who
are trying to learn CW contesting.

Conditions on 40 were much like they were last year, open a lot during
daylight.  With my antenna there was a mid-day period where I could hear the
Europeans but couldn’t work them until around 2PM local.  I didn’t operate
on any of the higher bands this year and am still living in hope of 10 really
opening up.  By that I mean long openings to all of Europe, as a minimum.
People who are new to HF since, say, 2006 are going to be really surprised,
shocked even, if 10 ever comes roaring back.  10M during the WW SSB
particularly can be one helluva ride.

See you in the ARRL 10M.  Let’s all think positively for good vibrations at
about 28MHz.

73 and Happy Holidays,
Kermit, AB1J