[3830] CaQP K4BAI SOFixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 3 18:51:24 PDT 2010

                    California QSO Party

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 15:39

  160:    0      0
   80:   16      3
   40:   92     79
   20:  130    284
   15:   61     81
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

TH6DXX, AL811H, 500W until 0537Z (100W thereafter), TH6DXX, dipole, inverted
vee.  I knew this would be a part-time effort due to family and church
obligatons.  The rig had been disconnected since Sept 23 when we left on a
trip.  I had a tennis match on Saturday morning and then lunch with the XYL,
our son and two grandsons.  Got home about 17Z and hooked everything up.  I had
a new version of NA and suspected the county abbreviations needed to be updated.
So, I did that (I thought), but when I made the first QSO, I discovered that I
had updated the county list for in-state CA stations, so I had to stop, find
the right file, and do the update again.  Both of my full power amplifiers are
with N4UQ for repair.  Actually, they are ready for pick-up, but it will be a
week or so before I get up there to pick them up.  So, I was using an AL811H at
about 500W.  It worked very well and I felt good.  Paul, N4PN, had about 80 QSO
start on me and I seemed to be holding my own until we were calling CA stations
on 75 phone and the Ameritron blew a fuse.  I found another fuse after a search
of the house, but couldn't make ths spring cover for the fuse holder work to
hold the new fuse in the amp.  Couldn't do very well barefoot, so went to bed
earlier than expected.  Figured out while driving home from church that, since
the other fuse in the amp would work in either socket, I could use the cover
from a fuse holder in another piece of equipment, not prsently being used, to
get the amplifier on line again.  So, I got the cover from a spare rotor
controller and it held the fuse in the amplifier fine.  However, when I hooked
the amplifier back up and turned it to on, with no drive applied, it blew the
new fuse and I could smell a slight acrid smell from the emplifier.  So, what
operation I did after QSO #652 was with 100W.  I wasn't able to get answers to
CQ CA calls without the amp and, in fact, was unable to raise a number of CA
stations, particularly on 80M.  W6RFU was a true 599 and had no clue I was
calling him.  So, I took about 4 1/2 hours off on Sunday afternoon and mowed
the lawn.  My stock went up a bit with the XYL and it was almost as much fun as
chasing a few CA stations that I hadn't worked previously.  Maybe the score is
still good enough for a prize!  Congrats to N4PN and others for FB scores and
to the sponsors for a wonderful QSO party.  I remember winning the CQP for
Korea as HL9KQ in 1968.  This year, no signals on 10M and no antenna for 160M.
More fun next year with better conditions, more power, a good ante for 160M, and
hopefully no visits from Murphy.  73, John, K4BAI.