[3830] SAC SSB RM5A(SM6LRR) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 10 10:58:07 PDT 2010

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: RM5A
Operator(s): SM6LRR
Station: RM5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Vereya, Moscow Obl.
Operating Time (hrs): 19h43

Total:  603   152  Total Score = 92,568

Instead of leaving my congratulations to the end... My sincere appreciation to
my Estonian friend Tonnu, ES5TV, for his Top Achievement! Super performance in
moving stations from band to band, excellent endurance and an extremely skilled
SAC-operator! It might not sound like an extreme effort to work 800+ QSOs in SAC
for a Non-Scandinavian, but it TRULY is!

I had almost decided not to work the SSB-leg of SAC this year for private
reasons, but the closer to the start, the more convinced I became I had to try
to find a station somehow.

My normal SAC-station RK3AWL (RL3A) was not available. My Second Option which
had been promised to me also became unavailable. I needed to somehow find a
station! Thanks God I have good colleagues and friends at my work. Leo, RA5A
got an SMS from me very late Friday evening: " I simply MUST work SAC SSB,
could you try to help me...".

Three hours before the contest should start, he gave me a call and said he
found an option. The station RM5A, located on the premises belonging to Igor,
RD3BW, should be my second home for the next 24 hours.

After a 100 km car ride with Leo, we ended up in a beautiful Russian
countryside area, 100 km west of Moscow.

Of course, Murphy had joined us on our journey and he did not allow me to start
the contest until 1 hour after the official start. At this time, Tonnu most
likely already had a 100 QSO advance...

Never mind, SAC contest started and I forgot about Murphy and his friends.

No special conditions this SAC SSB, but still this contest gives me tremendous
pleasure. To be able to work a contest with 52 years of history is something
special. Especially of you are a Scandinavian living abroad.

I had fantastic experiences and pleasure with many 5 band QSO:s thanks to so
many excellent Scandinavian operators ready to leave their RUN frequencies just
to QSY with me and other Non-Scandinavians to other bands for a new Multipliers
or QSOs. I so much enjoy the willingness to assist by those wonderful and
skilled operators in Scandinavia!

10 meters was a true challenge... signals were so deep into the "mud" that many
QSO:s were a real hardship for both me and the counterparts in Scandinavia.
Thanks to everyone for trusting in me that propagation might exist on 10,
despite the fact that nothing indicated that!

The biggest thrill was to be called by OY9R in the last hour on 15 meters and
to ask for QSY to 20 and 40. After a few minutes, I had three new band
multipliers and three more QSO-points. Unfortunaltely 10 meters did not work,
but 3 our of 4 bands tried is good result enough!

Thank you all Scandinavians for making these autumn weekends so special to me
by participating in SAC! I will do it over and over again in the years to
come!

Thank you that the Scandinavian Activity Contest is such a great contest!

My sincere appreciation to Igor RD3BW for allowing me to work from his nice
station and to Leo RA5A for organizing this adventure!

73 de R3/SM6LRR, Mats