[3830] Makrothen RTTY VE7NSR MO/Single Xcvr HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 10 14:41:42 PDT 2010

                    Makrothen RTTY Contest

Call: VE7NSR
Operator(s): VA7DXC, VA7JMO
Station: VE7NSR

Class: MO/Single Xcvr HP
QTH: North Vancouver, BC

Total:  222  Total Score = 934,430

Club: North Shore ARC

Comments:

Only worked first and second session.

First session on Friday evening saw 20m stay open only for an hour after the
start. A few JA's, the odd EU station and LT0H for a nice 10k+ points peppered
the log.

On 20m & 15m we can run a little extra power into the 3 ele SteppIR, but are
barefoot into wires on anything lower. Consequently though providing many Q's
in the first session, 40m is rarely a DX band in these smaller contests.

High noise levels in our urban setting doesn't help matters much either but the
band multiplier does add a good incentive to keep plugging away. The only DX
station worked on 40m was RD3A whose signal was pounding into the west coast.

The second session would be much more rewarding. The early start saw lots of
EU's on 20m with searching and pouncing being more fruitful early on. 15m
provided only 6 Q's with the only DX being LT0H again.

After a 1 hour lunch break we just pointed the StepprIR E-W in bidirectional
mode and just ran, and ran and ran on 20. Along with a raft of NA stations, EU
& Asian stations very regularly answered our CQ's, that is something quite rare
at this station.

We didn't run the last session and I don't think, for us at least, it would
have provided anything more than dupes.

No M/S entry from us last year. I was S/0 LP then as VE7NSR with 450,000pts
from 120 Q's in 7 hours. Our 40m total, with it's associated band multiplier,
and the extra power on 20m were the keys this year.

Hope to see the same level of activity for the JARTS next week.

73 Dave
VA7DXC