[3830] Oceania CW ZL1AZE SOSB/80 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 11 02:54:33 PDT 2010

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL1AZE
Operator(s): ZL1AZE
Station: ZL1AZE

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: ZL2

   80:  300   190
Total:  300   190  Total Score = 570,000

Club: WARC

Comments:

I decided to have another go in the 80M single band category, with the objective
of beating my 2009 score for this category. However I ended up with a lower
score and 28 less raw QSOs compared to 2009. There were excellent openings to
Europe (short path and long path) and North America but overall conditions did
not seem as good as last year. A high level of storm QRN made it difficult to
copy weaker signals. I also noted that there were very few Asia QSOs in the
log, most likely due to a popular JA domestic contest being held on the same
weekend as our contest.

I used an FT1000MP MkV Field with an AL80A amplifier running 400W. The main TX
antenna was an inverted vee dipole with the centre about 15 metres AGL. My QTH
is on a steep hillside about 100 metres ASL, with am excellent takeoff in the
downhill direction towards North America, South America and the long path to
Europe. However, stations in the uphill direction towards Asia and the short
path to Europe are much more difficult to work.

My QTH is also plagued by high levels of manmade QRN from nearby transport
infrastructure and an industrial area. At times the noise was up to S5 in 250
Hz. I used a terminated receiving loop and a second dipole to help pull some of
the weaker signals out of the noise but it was still a struggle. I appreciated
the patience of callers who often had to send repeat information, and apologise
to others whom I was unable to dig out of the QRN.

A southerly storm with severe gale force winds ripped through my QTH a few
hours after the end of the contest and collapsed a 15 metre aluminium pole
supporting my 80M antenna. I am glad that this disaster happened after the
contest and not during it!

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs and fun contest. CUAGN next year!