[3830] IaQP W0IW Multi-Op Fixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 17 12:17:26 PDT 2010

                    Iowa QSO Party

Call: W0IW
Operator(s): W0IW, N0XR, KD0HII, K0HU, W0TWR, K0SXY, KB9ARS, KB0NBE, N0DJY, + OTHERS I APOLOGIZE FOR MISSING.
Station: W0IW

Class: Multi-Op Fixed LP
QTH: Bondurant, IA

  160:
   80:      2
   40:     40       31
   20:     30      260
   15:               1
    2:               1
------------------------
Total:     70      295  Mults = 65  Total Score = 28,375

Club: Iowa Wireless Club

Comments:

When it didn't look like there was going to be a WI0WA Multi effort this year a
few month before the contest, I joined the gang at W0IW (the competition and
victor over Bill and my IA QSO party effort last year as WI0WA)

I witnessed very strange propagation on 40M to Van Buren County and the WA0DX
fixed bonus station.  Just to see how fast propagation can change, K0HU took
time out of the multi-single effort to called in to WA0DX with his personal
call and received a 59 from Van Buren County.  We resumed the multi-single
effort and W0IW called in to WA0DX.  WA0DX kept CQing.  K0HU took the
microphone and asked the WA0DX Op why he doesn't answer his friend Joe.  The op
said he can't hear the other station.  K0HU asked "why not? He's sitting next to
me, let me pass him the microphone".  That WA0DX Op was never able to hear
"W0IW" even though he QSOed with someone else using the same radio and
antenna.

Fortunately, the Op of the mobile WA0DX station in Appanoose county wasn't
affected by such strange propagation and we got our 100 bonus points.

I hope to never see such strange propagation in a contest again.  If a
sponsoring club can't ensure their bonus stations are all operated honorably,
it may be time to see if another club is willing to sponsor the contest.

Thanks to all that called in to us.  Also, as the "CW guy" of the group, thanks
to those that put up with me while I suffered through the first several QSOs
where the radio's "Auto-notch" was turned on.

73,
Dean - N0XR