[3830] TBDC W1WBB Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 24 20:52:32 PDT 2010

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: RI

Total:  QSOs = 147  Total Score = 634

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

As others have said, band conditions for this "SP TBDC Warm-Up" were not
good...high noise level, some U.S. Midwest storm QRN, much QSB and poor signal
strength from DX made this Topband Distance Challenge...challenging indeed!
Figured it would be tough-going seeing the high A and K indices, unsettled to
active geo-physical activity and very high solar wind speeds during the
period.

Only 7 EU, 2 Carib and 1 Oceania (loud KH7Y near my S/R-1st call!) worked.
Very few other EU/ add'l DX heard.  Most frustrating was my inability to work
into the DN, DM, CN and CM grids in the late evening for the fair # of
big-signal stns heard there. (Makes raising the vertical portion of my low
inv-L radiator even more of a priority...did get the dozen seasonal gnd radials
laid this week).

Stayed up too late hoping for improvements with EU S/R (not!), then overslept,
getting back into shack barely 30 mins before my S/R...rewarded with the KH7, 2
West Coast stns and 30 additional Q's.

Nice to work some familiar calls as the contest season on 160m cranks up again.
 Looking forward to band improvements (and hopefully own-antenna improvements)
for the future.

--Icom 737 @ LP, 3/8 wv inv-L for Tx and Rx with <40' vertical and ~18 gnd
radials, N1MM logger v.10.10.0 (210' BOG Rx ant not yet deployed)

73,

Bill  W1WBB