[3830] CQWW SSB KH6LC(NH6V) SOSB/80 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 31 16:21:39 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6LC
Operator(s): NH6V
Station: KH6LC

Class: SOSB/80 QRP
QTH: Kea'au, Hawai'i

   80:  132    19       25

This was my first attempt at QRP in over 30 years of contesting.  I could have
picked the CW weekend, or even a better band, for my initiation instead, but
that would have made things too easy!  I was really amazed at what could be
worked on 75-meters with 5 watts into a 4-square array.  A big "mahalo" goes
out to all who worked so hard, and patiently, to pull my weak signal out of the
noise.  Several QSOs took upwards of 5 minutes to complete!

Conditions were good, with extremely low local QRN.  Needless to say, there was
no need to utilize the newly upgraded receive antenna system since I really
couldn't work anything under S-6 anyway.  I even got away with throwing in some
attenuation and decreasing the RF gain, just to make it easy on my ears while
tuning.

Best DX worked: EA8CMX (13,000 km).  Best DX heard: C91WW & ZS9X (19,000 km).
I heard about a dozen BYs, but managed to finally work only B7P the second
night.  The "Golden Alligator" award goes to BT4EXPO.  I didn't hear him even
complete one single QSO during the many times I had him tuned in!

I was disappointed that I was unable to complete QSOs with any of the several
stations I heard in zones 10, 11, and 12.

The list of multipliers that I heard is longer than that of which I worked.

Countries           Zones
---------	    ---------
9M6     2            1      2
BY      1            3     57
CM      1            4     11
E5/s    1            5      8
EA8     1            6      2
FO      1            7      1
JA     18            8      4
K      67            9      4
KH0     1           13      1
KH2     1           19      3
KH6     6           24      1
KL      2           25     18
KP4     2           27      2
LU      1           28      2
P4      2           29      1
PJ2     1           30      4
PJ4     1           31      7
TI      1           32      3
UA9     3           33      1
VE      9
VK      5
VP5     1
VP9     1
XE      2
ZL      1

It was interesting, and oddly entertaining, though I'm not sure if I'd want to
do something like this again.

73 and aloha,

Rob, NH6V