[3830] CQWW SSB N7VM M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 31 17:50:01 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7VM
Operator(s): N7VM K7RJ KF7P N7JLC N4RRL
Station: N7VM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: UT

  160:   27     6        5
   80:   79    18       31
   40:  282    31       74
   20:  427    34       96
   15:  413    32       79
   10:   52     9        9

Club: Utah DX Association

Comments:

It was quite the adventure, as I had not had a chance to fully check out
everything before the 'test. While Ron operated the first few hours I finished
hooking up the computer network to feed N1MM DX spots, repaired a cable problem
in the 40 meter rotator cable and recalibrated the rotator.  We made up the
tuning charts for the amplifier and tuner pretty much on the fly.  Obviously, I
would have liked to have the station better set up, but there is always one more
thing that could be done...

The Amp was acting really squirrly on 80-160 with the tuner, and it turns out I
had damaged the stop on the tuner's roller inductor banging it into the end too
hard, and the the slider wasn't making reliable contact anymore.  After
repairing the tuner early Sunday morning, things behaved much much better!

This was the first time I've used N1MM with the full array of integrated
rig-control-bandmap-spotting. Wow! Of course, this was also the first time
using a "full gallon" of output power in a contest.  Working S&P became an
exercise in: click-on-call-in-spot-window, call-the-station (one call that's
all, usually), give the exchange, hit spacebar to fill the log from the spot
(checking for accuracy, of course), hit enter, and repeat.  We were able to S&P
at rates comparable to running. Unfortunately, I am now really really spoiled.
Personal highlight: busting through the 5R8X pileup on 20m.

Thanks to all who took shifts operating and special thanks to Ron for doing the
Fri-Sat overnight low-band duty (I'll bet he still has static crashes ringing
his head) and helping on the tuner repair.

We will have to do something like this again...