[3830] CQWW SSB KL7RA SOSB/80 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 31 22:03:29 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): KL7RA
Station: KL7RA

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: ALASKA

   80:  314    23       33

Part time single band 80 effort with QSYs to 160 when asked. Family medical
emergency this week prevented the scheduled Multi-multi. Thanks to all the ops
that shifted their travel plans. First contest muti-op I have ever cancelled
since 1979.

Picked 80 as it was a night time band and could spend some time on the radio
but the band was very poor and many stations couldn't hear me. Other times I
could generate a pile with those same stations now calling me. Never got the
big JA runs that we have come to expect from Alaska but many that did call were
very loud so it was a lack of activity issue.

My heart sank when I noticed the high bands were wide open "loud" the few times
I took the time to check. Would have been a great score this weekend, just bad
luck to have to miss it but the right thing to do. (now that it's over)

Carl, K9LA told me Ten would be open for the 2010 WW and he was right. The band
was packed end to end with callers, many super loud. I had to stop checking Ten
meters as it was scaring the dog when I went into my primordial scream.

Next year, 73 Rich KL7RA