[3830] TnQP W1NN SO Fixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 6 07:34:55 PDT 2010

                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 8+

  160:    9      0      0       8
   80:   51      9      0      40
   40:  124     41      0      81
   20:    0      0      0       0
   15:    0      0      0       0
   10:    0      0      0       0
-----------------------------------
Total:  184     50      0     129  Total Score = 84,508

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Last year I operated as a mobile in Tennessee and it was very interesting and
fun to be on the other end this year.

Winning this contest from out-of-state depends a lot on location.  You want to
be far enough away to be able to work stations on 20 but close enough to pick
up mults on 80 and 160.  While Ohio is a good place to work TN on 40, 80 and
160, we have a great disadvantage on 20, at least we did this year.  I heard a
few weak signals when I would check the band, but didn't manage to work anyone
at all.  Maybe I should have checked more often.  It will be interesting to see
if any stations far enough away to do well on 20 managed to also did well on
40-160.  W0BH seems to be the most likely candidate here; he was loud
everywhere I heard him.

I was not trying to work all counties and I did not follow the mobiles around
with a map or print out a copy of their routes.  I was just trying to work
everyone I could find.  But I managed to work 82 counties all together (only
one of which I did not work on 40), which was more than I expected.  I have not
analyzed my log in detail, but it looks like about 75% of my contacts were with
the mobiles.

In contrast to the Ohio QSO Party last weekend, 75 meters was pretty much a
bust.  I'm not sure why.  Given the importance of multipliers in achieving a
good score in this contest, it is surprising that there was not more activity
on 160.

Looks like I worked N4ZZ the most times (25) followed by W4NZ (20), K4LTA (19),
W4SIG (13), W4AN and W9WI (9), and NY4N (8) (this is a manual count so I may
havve missed some).  All together I count 14 mobiles in my log, a very
impressive turnout!

Thanks to the TCG and the participants for a fun event.

The above score includes 400 points for working K4TCG.

73,  Hal W1NN