[3830] EU Sprint CW DL/W1NN(@DF0UK) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 10 11:09:16 PDT 2011

                    EU Spring Sprint CW

Call: DL/W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: DF0UK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Karlsruhe

---------------------
Total:  120   Total Score = 120

Thanks to the DF0UK club at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)for allowing
me to borrow their station and thanks to DK9IP for helping with the
arrangements.

Having operated the NA Sprints as often as I could since their beginning 25 (?)
years ago and also having operated the AP Sprint a couple of times, I was
looking forward to seeing what it's like to operate the EU version.  KIT has a
great yagi for the high bands on a tower that sits on top of an 8-storey
building but it didn't help me very much on 20.  Skip was long and I couldn't
figure out where to point the antenna, so I got off to a slow start.  Probably
a dipole would have been better than a high gain antenna on that band.  Things
picked up when I went to 40 and then 80, even though there was a lot of noise
on 80.  My callsign threw quite a few ops the first time they heard it, but by
the time we went to 80 most people had figured it out.

A fun and interesting experience which I hope to repeat someday.  Thanks to
G4BUO and the other organizers and also to everyone in the contest for the
contacts.

73,  Hal W1NN