[3830] GaQP W0BH Single OpMixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 10 22:07:24 PDT 2011

                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single OpMixed HP
QTH: KS

  160:
   80:     20        2
   40:    166       49
   20:    201       95
------------------------
Total:    387      146  CW-Dig Mults = 146  Ph Mults = 74  Total Score = 202,400

A great weekend by any standards! Many thanks to SECC and SEDXC for a terrific
50th.  Gordon would have been pleased.

I finally had time to put in a full effort this year and came up a combined
four counties short of a sweep : Newton, Pulanski, Quitman, and Wheeler. When I
finished, I thought I was only missing two, but two more appeared when I went
over the log afterwards.  To get (almost) all the counties means extraordinary
effort by everyone involved .. most particularly the mobiles.

Special thanks to this amazing group :

63: N4ZZ/m
44: W4NZ/m
41: N5WR/m
38: W4R/m
28: W3DYA/m
19: KN4Y/m N0TW/m
17: N4A/m
12: K4I/m
07: KC4HW/m N4AO/m
06: K4EAK/m N4I/m
05: K4ZGB/m
04: KB4KBS/m NE4S/m
03: AD8J/m
02: WD4DX/m

I had four fixed stations with 5 contacts: N4O, W4A, WE4S and K4A.  I heard
several GA stations on 15 but they were too weak to work, and 80 SSB was really
bad on Saturday evening with thunderstorms here in Kansas.

N4ZZ/m was truly outstanding in his number of counties covered (did you make it
to all 58?). I didn't pick him up (due to band conditions) until he was 3
counties into his route, but from then on, the schedule with times he posted on
QRZ.com was especially helpful and I'm sure added some Qs for us which I might
otherwise have missed.  Near the end, I was concentrating on SSB more to try to
find the four remaining counties, so I didn't track the mobiles as hard and
missed them in a few counties I already had in the log. Thanks to all the
mobiles who listed their schedules in order of travel. It really really helps
from this end.

W4NZ/m and N5WR/m tie for the "best ears" award. Neither were very loud on 40m
a good share of the time, but I gave it a try anyway and they still picked me
out of pileups I wouldn't have thought I could break. Everyone was loud on 20m,
and both W4NZ and N5WR were great about going to both bands.

Overall, I worked 145 unique calls and learned to spell GEORGIA (that was
fun!). On CW, I missed BALD BLEC LINC MCDU MACO NEWT PULA QUIT ROCK TATT WALT
WKSN and my and Paul's favorite CW county : WHEE.

Even though I didn't quite make all 159 counties, I'd like to thank 2 ops for
going out of their way to give me a shot. K4MFC called in from a mobile in
Gwinnett county. I noticed on the map he was close to Rockdale and asked how
far away he was.  He said, "call you back in ten minutes." He did and just like
that ROCK was in the log .. one I was sure I'd missed.

The other op, Shawn, KI4JDO was in McDuffie county and on the schedule, but I
hadn't found him after lots of listening.  I'd been calling CQ on SSB and
asking ops if they'd heard him, when suddenly he found me.  The QRM was really
bad during our QSO even after I moved him, so will have to get the rest of the
story later, but many thanks, Shawn!

One of these years it will be really fun to join the gang in Georgia for a
mobile run.  Until the next one ...

73, Bob, w0bh