[3830] MiQP AE8M Mobile Solo Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 17 18:51:49 PDT 2011

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: AE8M
Operator(s): AE8M
Station: AE8M

Class: Mobile Solo Op LP
QTH: 5 COUNTIES

   80:   17      6
   40:  160     62
   20:  104      3
--------------------
Total:  281     71  CW Mults = 53  Ph Mults = 35  Total Score = 55,704

Thanks to all who called.  Special thanks to those who gave me multiple Q's
including K8XXX (7), N4PN (7), K8MFO (7), K8RYU (5), K9DU (5), N6MA (5), NS9I
(5), OM2VL (5), W4UCZ (5), WA3HAE (5), DL2HBX (5), K1PQS(5) and a host of
others at 3 and 4 Q's.

I worked a total of 17 EU's.  There is something stimulating about sitting in
your car with your modest mobile setup and working Europe, especially on 40M.
It makes you forget about the howling wind shaking the car and the freezing
rain and snow.  It was also stimulating to work KL7DX in AK twice.  I wonder if
his weather was as bad as the Michigan weather.

My Honda Accord has 2 antenna mounts and I rotate between Hamsticks of 20M,
40M, 80M and 75M.  The rig is a K3.

My on the air time was about 6 hours and driving consumed about 4 hours.
As the summary shows, 80 and 75 were a major disappointment.  I wasted
considerable time CQing on 80 and 75 in each county visited.  This has been
producttive in other contests, but not this time.  I heard very few stations on
80/75.

I stayed in a motel near Pentwater, MI on Saturday night.  I operated Mason
County from the motel parking lot.  The motel maintenance man came out to
verify that I was a motel guest and not some pervert.  I explained that I was
in a radio contest.  He saw the laptop in my lap and suggested that I come
inside out of the snow and wind.  He never grasp that I was on the radio.  He
concluded that I was playing games on the internet and went back inside.