[3830] EUHF Champ ES5RR(ES2RR) Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 8 05:50:56 PDT 2011

                    European HF Championship

Call: ES5RR
Operator(s): ES2RR
Station: ES5TV

Class: Mixed HP
QTH: Jogeva

  160:    91     0     39
   80:   180    47     55
   40:   173   120     61
   20:   124   185     61
   15:   191   149     62
   10:   271   182     61
---------------------------
Total:  1030   683    339  Total Score = 580,029

The total number of QSO's is 1722, minus 9 dupes, minus 2 non-EU QSO's and the
number of valid QSO's equals 1711, which is exactly the same number as RA1A
has! :-)

10 meters conditions were a pleasant surprise. I ended up spending a lot of
time on 10 and actually I owe a big thanks for my 10 meters numbers to HA6VB
whom I asked to QSY from 15 to 10 meters quite late in the evening only to
discover that 10 was wide open.

Naturally, after spending that much time on 10 I was late to almost all the
other bands. 20 meters was especially scary - by the time I got to 20 CW around
19:00 Z I had there only 8 (!) QSO's - and the band sounded closed! I called CQ
on almost empty band and eventually managed to work somewhat decent number of
Q's, all of them with quite weak signals. At the end the only time I could
spare for 160 meters was the last 29 minutes of the contest and that of course
shows in the low multiplier count.

Another surprise - not that nice - was when I read DK6XZ's post and discovered
that using assistance was allowed this year. I didn't know that. Guess reading
the rules before contest would have helped ;-) I believe using packet and
skimmers could have easily added another 10 mults and maybe 50 or so QSO's,
pushing the total score over the 600k mark. I was using the second radio quite
actively looking for S&P Q's and overall I made around 150 second radio
contacts. Here the "point'n'shoot"-type of assistance of a skimmer or cluster
could have really helped.

Comparing my numbers with RA1A it looks like a rematch of the last WRTC. Our
QSO counts are equal and the difference in scores is less than 0.6%. It all
comes down to the log checking to decide which one of us will end up with
higher ranking. Still waiting for LY9A and perhaps some other high scorers to
post their results.

Overall another positive experience with this contest that has become one of my
favourites. Lots of excellent CW-operators!

Thanks to all for the QSO's!

Toivo, ES5RR

| Hr | QSO's  |
-----------------