[3830] NAQP SSB KB4KBS Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Aug 20 21:24:10 PDT 2011

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GEORGIA
Operating Time (hrs): 10 HRS

  160:    0     0
   15:   11     8
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  245    88  Total Score = 21,560

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #2

Comments:

During the NAQP SSB Contest I signed with the name "ABBY". This was to pay
tribute to a precious little seven year-old girl who lost her five-year battle
against cancer this past Wednesday, August 17th, at 9:02 PM. Abigail Grace
Smith (aka Abby) was diagnosed with a medulloblastoma brain tumor at the age of
23 months old on March 3, 2006. She was, even in the midst of her illness, a
sweet angel with a mischievous smile and a loving heart. Her family attended my
church and I was blessed to know Abby. My heart is broken. Please remember her
parents and her older brother and sister as they deal with this loss.

I really wanted to do well in this event and feel like I did OK but could have
done better.  I had an OK start as I bounced from 15M to 20M trying to
establish a run on 15, but never could. My first two hours were 29 and 25, but
hour three and four were in the high teens.  This was mostly due to band
hopping.

I went to 40M early to reserve a plum spot, but ended up getting bullied by
"Bubba Nets" that were 3.5kHz wide.  I did my best to hold my frequency and be
a gentleman also, but it appears that I really can't do both.

I went to 80M early also, and grabbed a few quick mults, but that band was very
dry so I bailed back to 40 and did some S&P while trying to find a nook or
crevice that I could shoehorn into without disturbing the Bubbas. My goal was
to run at a 30 rate, and I actually did it for a while but my poor band move
decisions really caused havoc.  I finished with a respectable (for my set up
and skill level) 24.5 total rate, which is a good mark to grow from.

Thank you to all for the contacts, and thank you for the kind comments
regarding Abby.  Her memorial service will be Sunday afternoon.

73,

Scott, KB4KBS