[3830] CWOpen K5OT(@K5TR) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 21 07:26:32 PDT 2011

                    CWops CW Open - 2000Z-2359Z

Call: K5OT
Operator(s): K5OT
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

   20:  164   136
Total:  280   195  Total Score = 54,015

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This CWOPen second segment had a much different feel than the first one.
Equipment problems (TS-850S) distracted me in the 3rd/4th hours.  I spent too
much time trying to understand the problem rather than just focusing on the
remaining radio and pressing on.  One radio makes more QSOs than no radios -
duh!  Over 30 minutes were silent in the process, and that's a huge chunk out
of a fast 4-hour contest.  My hourly breakout was 100/74/55/51.  There seemed
to be less overall activity, but I worked more unique calls in this shortened
segment than I did in the first (full) segment.  Go figure.

Equipment:
 K3 & TS-850S (and just the K3 in the final 45 minutes)
 2 x AL-1500

I didn't participate in the 3rd segment.

The CW Open is a interesting concept for a late-summer CW contest.  More
activity over a broader base would make it a lot more fun. I'm anxious to see
how it was perceived from different parts of the country and world. FB effort
to arrange something completely different by AD6E, K6RB, et al.

Thanks to George K5TR for the station access!

73,
Larry K5OT..