[3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 28 21:12:11 PDT 2011

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Fairfield County, Oh

   20:   81     13
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  342    311  CW Mults = 83  Ph Mults = 104  Total Score = 186,065

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Sorry for the reporting delay.  I was exhausted immediately after the
contest and then Sunday I spent all day preparing for, hosting, and
cleaning-up after my daughter's 7th birthday party.

I put up the NVIS dipole for 80 meters again and prepared a better
SO2R setup.  2 computers running Writelog networked solves the problem
of not having an SO2R box to direct CW keying to the proper radio.  I
used volume controls to manage audio.  However, I neglected to apply
SO2R principles to propagation, which favored 40 meters this year
instead on 75 meters.  My 40 meter vertical which works great for DX
really sucks as an NVIS antenna.  Wonder if that null straight up has
anything to do with the phenomenon?

Even with low power, the 80 meter NVIS antenna played very well.  So a
low 40 dipole should have me covered next year.

I must figure out how to keep track of the mobiles.  Maybe the problem
is that when the mobiles are too close, but not in ground wave range,
I can't hear them.  Maybe the 40 meter NVIS antenna will fix this
problem, too.

My raw score was only marginally better than last year, by about 5%.
A few more QSOs and and just 5 more multipliers.  I counted 74
counties worked.

I worked a number of European stations that were operating the YO DX
contest.  They would give me a serial number in exchange for my serial
number (plus FAIR), which was kind of weird since their numbers were
often much higher than mine.

I operated 6 band-mode combinations, but didn't work any fixed
stations 6 times.  Worked K4BAI, K5KG, and K8AZ 5 times.  Worked many
stations 3 or 4 times.  Worked DL2HBX 4 times and OM2VL 3 times.

Thanks to these rovers for all of the contacts:
    K8MR, 7 counties
    W9MSE, 7 counties
    WB8JUI, 4 counties
    W1NN, 5 counties
    AE8M, 3 counties
    K8RYU, 3 counties
    AB8DD, 2 counties

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (thanks, Jeff), IC765.  80 meter cage vertical,
80 meter dipole, 40 meter vertical, X7 up 60 feet, Beverages.  2
computers and 2 Writelog instances.