[3830] ARRL 160 K7IA Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 4 11:37:11 PST 2011

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 9:29

Total:  QSOs = 436  Sections = 71  Countries = 4  Total Score = 55,525

Despite a lot of snow noise (snow/rain always welcome in SW New Mexico drought
country!) on Friday evening and clear skies on Sat evening, the band was better
on Friday.  I had two very good and lengthy runs on Friday, where I made most of
my Q's, but it's S&P that garnered the mults.  Perhaps with only a vee antenna
at 85 feet, I worked all of the strong signals on Friday, leaving only a few
Sunday Drivers and stalwart QRP/LP ops on Saturday.  When rates went nearly to
zero at 0800Z, I called it a night.

Best DX:  Al, CE1/K7CA (man, does he have good ears!)
Surprise DX:  F5NTV, who called while I was running.  I've just gotta finish
shunt loading the tower--maybe there's more DX out there?

At least two dozen stations didn't make it into the log for various reasons:

1.  They call me, I send the exchange once, twice, three times with no reply
from them at all.  These weren't QRP signals, and fading wasn't bad.  I even go
progressively QRS on the second and third try.  A mystery.

2.  They call me, I send the exchange, they send theirs, and then they
immediately QSY, assuming I have their section.  I send "SEC" once, twice,
thrice, as above, into empty spectrum.  My rule:  no complete exchange ==> NIL.
 I do not look up data on qrz after any contest!

3.  I'm running, they call me and immediately add their exchange to their
callsign, then they QSY while I give them my exchange (or send "CL" if QRN has
blanked part of their callsigns).  Guess they have logged my exchange from one
of my previous QSOs.

4.  An otherwise good QSO that is destroyed by a LID who keeps calling despite
all attempts to let him know I am working someone else.  My attempts include:
sending the prosign <AS> several times, followed by the complete callsign of
the chap I'm trying to work, followed by the prosign <KN> twice, then followed
by "SEC.".  Still the LID keeps calling, covering up the chap I want to work
(first).  I end up sending the complete callsign followed by "NIL," hoping he
will return later.  I do not work the LID, because I do not reward bad
behavior.

Ten years ago, the 160 meter contests weren't like this.

Many thanks to the QRP (sounded like many, but more likely LP ops with antennas
like mine) who patiently sent their callsigns/sections over and over until I
copied them.  Good radio here (K3, realigned and tune-up at Elecraft two weeks
ago) but poor hearing & constant/worsening tinnitis make for a lot of work for
many callers.  A tip:  if an op is obviously having difficulties copying
callsign and/or exchange, send it more than once, and consider a little QRS in
QRN conditions.  It may save repeat "AGNs" for both of us.

A better antenna is anticipated for next year (and for 2012 CQ 160).  See you
in ARRL 10m.

73, dan