[3830] 10RTTY W0YK Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 4 16:07:05 PST 2011

                    10-Meter RTTY Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA

Total:  QSOs = 374  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 37  Total Score = 32,538

Club: Loma Prieta Contest Club

Comments:

This is a checklog obviously, but what a fun day on the radio!

Asia and Oceania were in for a couple hours Saturday night here on the west
coast and Europe was open for a couple hours Sunday morning, but most signals
were weak.  In North America "spotlight propagation" moved around the continent
during the day Sunday.  Signals became very weak for the most part on Sunday
afternoon.  My two 10 meter Yagis are fixed at 70 and 120 degrees so that made
some QSOs more difficult.  Many stations couldn't hear me and admittedly some
of them were right at the noise floor, even with the PR10 pre-amp.  Then, other
signals were S9+30dB.

Activity was good worldwide with lots of Packet spots though run rates weren't
high.  This was a great warmup for both the ARRL 10-Meter contest next weekend
and RTTY Round-Up in early January.

Heijo, EA8OM, gets the tailender award!  I dropped my call at the end of the
other station's exchange and he picked it up without pause using a TU/NOW
message.  It would be great to see more of this but one has to be careful not
to QRM the prior contact.

It was also the perfect contest for SO2V and the K3/P3/WriteLog combination was
superb.  Mults and new stations were tuned in on the second receiver while
running on the main receiver.  The Packet-filled bandmap on the second receiver
was used to quickly find these stations by simply clicking the tuned-in call in
the second receiver RTTY window.  The number of accurate spots was surprising,
so I guess more folks are spotting the Mark frequency.

WriteLog keeps the left and right (main and sub-RX) channels of LINE OUT
properly streamed into their respective RTTY windows, but clicking on a call in
the sub-RX window simply put the K3 in SPLIT mode so the transmit was on the
sub-RX frequency.  The sub-RX had its own FSK/PTT keying interface that was
wire-OR'd at the K3 FSK and PTT inputs along with the main keying interface.

Search & Pounce QSOs were easily interleaved in the run QSO stream with little
pause.  N1MM probably can be configured similarly and I hope others took
advantage of this contest (single band and Packet) to practice SO2V.

Checking the log submittal robot Saturday night I found that logs were being
rejected for the wrong date even though it checked out fine a week ago.  It was
fixed at 2138z on Sunday.

73,
Ed - W0YK