[3830] ARRL 10 G3TXF SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 12 02:47:31 PST 2011

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: G3TXF
Operator(s): G3TXF
Station: G3TXF

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Devon

   CW: 1848   147
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1848   147  Total Score = 1,086,624

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Great to see 10m waking up again after it has been asleep for so many years.
G3TXF operated full time CW-only on both days.

On Saturday the band opened about an hour earlier than on the Sunday, however
on Sunday 10m stayed open to the USA for nearly two hours longer than on
Saturday. The first QSO (OL7M) on Saturday was at 0625z and on Sunday it was
5B/RN3QO at 0727z. The last USA station on Saturday was N2IC (NM) at 1803z.
Whereas N7AT (AZ) at 1951z was the final USA station worked on the Sunday. The
very last station audible on the band after 20z on the Sunday was PJ2T whom I
had not worked, but who gracefully sank into the noise as 10m fully closed by
about 2015z on the Sunday.

Just as with CQWW CW two weeks earlier, there were times when "everything
nearby had massive multple echos", which made copying even loud stations quite
difficult. And also just like in CQWW CW there was no substantial opening to JA
from G, although there was one massive JA (JH3AIU) on the long path, who despite
being very loud was difficult to copy because of multiple echos on his signal.
Several other Asian stations (BA7NO, VR2ZQZ/p etc) were also coming through on
the long-path (South-West from G).

The antenna was a single 4-el yagi at 80ft (which had been put up for the CQWW
CW Contest two weeks earlier, but which was taken down after this ARRL 10m
Contest).

It was great to get all the 48 mainland States (with ND being the last one to
make it into the log), however nothing heard from either KL7 or KH6. Also
nothing heard from VO1, VO2, VY1, VY0 or VE8 in Canada. The Mexican Provincial
Multiplier listing on my log remained virtually empty, with only three XE
QSOs/provinces worked.

Ten metres is certainly getting back to its old form again. But we just need a
few more sun-spots so we can get those huge 10m DX openings (eg JA and USA/West
Coast) of previous sun-spot maxima.

Operated on CW-only for nearly 25 hours in the ARRL 10m Contest and enjoyed
every minute of it!