[3830] ARRL 10 K0LUZ SO CW QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 12 10:12:07 PST 2011

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K0LUZ
Operator(s): K0LUZ
Station: K0LUZ

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: NFL

   CW:  568   121
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  568   121  Total Score = 274,912

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

First time QRP for many years. I was extremely surprised how well 5 watts gets
out when the path is good.   For the most part,  it was easier to work DX than
to work some parts of the USA.  From Central Florida,  I must have worked every
Arizona and Colorado station licensed who worked the contest.  Someone described
the conditions as "spotlight openings".  That pretty much sums it up.

I also learned one truism about QRP.  Backscatter just doesn't work!  Although
I believe I heard all of the states in the Southeast and a few in New England,
nary a one was worked.  The only one I can remember that might have been
backscatter was K3MD who was my only PA.  The qso must have taken five minutes.
 I congratulate K3MD for the sticktooiveness.  Missing sections included CT, NJ,
MD, KS, NE and all of the SE except Florida.  WAC with five watts was
accomplished and included contacts with ST2, E5, A7 and 5B.  These contacts
were done in fairly quick fashion or I would have told myself "Are you crazy?
There is no chance you will work this station with the pileup".  Then there was
HD2A who I called often until Sunday afternoon when I worked him first call.

Another good feature is that there is absolutely no fear of TVI, RFI and
whatever.  The only noise experienced was in the evening,  when Christmas
lights came on,  the level rose.  But with no evening openings,  no big deal.

I look forward to next year!