[3830] ARRL 10 K2PS SO Mixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 12 14:51:29 PST 2011

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K2PS
Operator(s): K2PS
Station: K2PS

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: DC

   CW:  812   125
  SSB:  484    99
-------------------
Total: 1296   224  Total Score = 944,384

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was pretty excited going into this one.  I'd been focusing on ARRL 10 for the
past year, and to that end, bought a 4-element monobander and a pushup mast
which I installed at my son's place in DC.  It performed pretty well in CQWW,
both modes, single band, and for the first time in a long while, the East Coast
had a potential advantage over the W5's and W6's, due to the EU path.

I had a pretty good setup back in SNJ, and discovered recently that I actually
held the SO LP Mixed record for the Atlantic Division, set back in 2002!  So I
had a goal to see how I measured up against that, given that propagation
conditions might be somewhat comparable.  The stations, however, were not
comparable.  Back in NJ my tower went to about 55 feet, topped by a C31XR,
which gave me 7 elements on 10.  The location was pretty good as well - while
not high in elevation, South Jersey is pretty much flat, and only 60 miles
separated me from the ocean and so basically an easy shot at EU.  Now I'm 3
elements smaller and 15 feet shorter, with a QTH that is not as good.

I did have the DC section mult, but it really didn't help much.  I was spotted
19 times, and in only 5 cases was DC mentioned.  I think maybe only two of
those may have contributed to a sudden rush of Qs, and they didn't seem to last
long.  It was fun though, to give out that mult, especially at the tail end of
the contest.  From what I gathered, there was not all that much activity from
DC, and most SSB stations reacted when they understood that I was in Delta
Charlie, not NJ, NY, or NC.  One memorable reaction was, "Hot Dog," followed by
profuse thanks!

It turns out that I matched up to my 2002 score pretty well, and may have
eclipsed it.  This time around my score is only 3500 points short of the 2002
SUBMITTED total.  I tried to stay on CW longer this time, and that made up for
a handful fewer QSOs and mults.  We'll see how the log checking goes.  Last
time I lost 30K points.  Was I more careful to log correctly now, with my
advanced age?  There's also the possibility that another station put in a great
score in the Atlantic Division.  It's a good thing N8II is in the Roanoke!
Great score, Jeff.

73, Pete, K2PS/3 in DC