[3830] ARRL 10 K6GEP(@N6WIN) SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 12 23:06:25 PST 2011

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: N6WIN

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: ORG

   CW:  692
  SSB:  489
-------------------
Total: 1171   152  Total Score = 570,078

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Only about a week ago I received an email from Tim N6WIN with his generous offer
to let me guest op at his Super station during the 10 Meter Contest! To go from
my modest station with a low fixed beam and wire antennas to his station was
like going from my Honda Accord to driving an Indy car.

Tim showed me the ropes on the K3, recorded the messages on the DVR, and away I
went.  It was a thrill to actually control a frequency, or to bust a pileup
quickly.  The rates that I could achieve were fantastic!  140/hr was my best on
phone, and 100/hr on CW.  The number of stations calling me from OH, MI, MN, KY,
IL and WI just seemed infinite.

The sunspots "raised the roof" on this contest, quite literally.  In previous
years, we were bouncing our signals off the E layer (Sporadic E), but this year
we used the F2 layer.  Ironically, last year's 10m Contest was almost a Colorado
QSO Party.  I think I worked every ham in CO.  This year ZERO COLORADO stations.
 Skipped right over.

Tim wanted me to include some suggested improvements, so here they are.
1.  Use the DSP filters in the K3 Noise Blanker to knock out local line noise.
2.  The weighting or spacing in the keyer box made keying with paddles very
difficult for me.  Not sure why, and didnt have time to tinker with settings.
3.  Fix the Enter key on keyboard.
4.  See if sub-vfo can be used for a SO2R like operation to get mults.

Things I need to improve on:
1.  Practice Morse Runner a couple of weeks before the contest.  The serial
numbers in CW were hard to copy.
2.  Increase CW speed to 28 or so.
3.  Don't repeat the callsigns back phonetically on phone.  Use letters.

Best DX:  V51 who called me
Weirdest QSO:  Pointed Yagi at Alaska at 2230z, and worked Sweden!  It was
10:30 PM in Sweden at that time!

Congrats to Bob AA6PW for his amazing score.  I have a long way to go to
improve my rates, and mult acquisition skills.

This was my first contest with a rotatable yagi, and with a full limit amp.
First contest for me to ever go above 1000 QSOs.  My previous 10m best was
only 440 Q's in 1989 as WB6OWD.

This guest op opportunity was the best gift I could dream of for my milestone
birthday this week. Thanks again to Tim N6WIN and his wife.  They were gracious
hosts.

Station:
Elecraft K3
Acom 2000A