[3830] RAC Winter VE7XF SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Dec 17 20:25:14 PST 2011

                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    39             6
   80:    65             5
   40:   293            10
   20:   312            10
   15:   155             8
   10:   158             8
    6:     2             1
    2:     1             1
Total:  1025    0       49         0  Total Score = 243,040

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Man, I'm pooped! I haven't put this much time in a contest in a few years.
I made a conscious effort to work harder and take fewer breaks, and it paid
off.
Here's the commercial: "Stanfields - for more butt-in-the-chair comfort!"
The cat stayed off the keyboard, but the power went off about 2200Z, just long

enough that I had to reset EVERYTHING. Lost a few minutes there, in the middle

of a run.

Activity at the start seemed quite sparse, except for the bloody RTTY signals
hemming us in. Seems that we're being squeezed into the bottom 25 khz of the
lower bands. And the 9A contest was a surprise - I spent a lot of time on 10m
get away from the Eu sigs. Whoda thunk I'd ever say that?
Otherwise, a reasonable amount of elbow room.

Plasma TV and some other regularly intermittent racket makes 80m extremely
difficult in the evening, and I can't get any of my two noise cancellers to
make
any difference. Maybe I need to work on my noise antenna - that's the next
project (after I finish my 160m 'bandsmasher' vertical).

Got up at 3:00 AM (1100z) to try for some east coast mults on 160-40, but they

must have moved to 20+ by then. I did hear a couple of weak Gs on 20m, but
that's all. Robby, VY2SS opened 20m for me at 1348z, over 2 hours before my
sunrise.

Sweeps with VA7BEC, VE7CC, VE7UF, VE6RAC and K9YC.
I'm off to bed. I'll think of more snappy repartee tomorrow when it's too
late.

N1MM, K3, Acom 1000, various bits of wire, aluminum and fiberglass.

Ralph, VE7XF