[3830] TBDC K1TN Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 18 05:53:10 PST 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 30  Total Score = 281

I have little experience on 160 Meters so can't judge conditions, but they
treated me well for the 90 minutes I was on. Worked 11 Europeans plus FM, CE,
PJ2, KV4, and KH6 between 0500 and 0630.

Got back on at sunrise, 1300, looked for Alaska, which would complete my 6BWAS
from here in one year, but no dice. Called an XE who for the life of him could
not copy my grid number, so I quit. Same problem I had in the 10 Meter Contest;
I don't know how many XEs I called on CW who just came back CQing away. And I
know I was loud on that band. "EN55" is a PITA on CW.

Some of the EU needed repeats and every one hung in until we got it right;
thanks guys.

11 EU contacts is probably about as many as I have previously worked in my
whole life on 160. I can remember (1970s) when you could be very competitive in
an all-band DX contest without even having a rig for 160.

This weekend I used the same pitiful excuse for an antenna that I used in the
ARRL 160 Meter Contest: 110-foot horizontal wire, 35 feet above ground, split
and fed in the center with twin lead, twin lead twisted together at ground
level. That is, a random wire antenna. Two elevated 1/4 wave radials. 1:1 balun
to MFJ 998 auto tuner by a kitchen window. 100 feet of coax from the radio room.

If the weather holds (it's cold here but no snow) I could make the antenna
longer and add two more temporary radials for the CQ 160 Meter Contest. I know
it would help.

Elecraft K3, 350-watt amp, NA software.

What's with this CE1/K7CA guy, anyway? This season I called him three times,
the first time with even less of an antenna than I have up now, and he came
right back three times. I figure either 1) He has great ears, or 2) He has
planted a remote receiver in my back yard. I looked around and didn't find any
mysterious black boxes out there so the answer must be 1).

As always, log on LotW.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Northern Wisconsin -- EN55